This is a blog about my journey through accomplishing something that, right now, seems to be a large feat...completing a full marathon and crossing the finish line. I turned 30 this year and part of my bucket list includes running a full marathon in 2010. I plan to write about all my experiences this year as I prepare for the big run in Washington, D.C. - Marine Corps Marathon - on October 31st. Thank you in advance for your comments, suggestions, and most of all, your encouragement.
The distance race is a struggle that results in self discovery. It is an adventure involving the limits of the self.
Thursday, August 5, 2010
The Flip Side of the Snooze Button...
This is my first week without boot camp torture and I can honestly say that I miss it! My running partners are both on vacation (the NERVE of them!) and I have been running solo this week, until tonight! On Tuesday, I managed to climb out of bed and head to the YMCA. I lifted some weight and ran 3 miles on the treadmill. I planned to return to the YMCA this morning, but I didn't win the fight against the snooze button. My body has been sore this week, my hamstrings are tight, and I suppose I simply needed to sleep. I was perfectly fine with this mindset this morning. My bed was wonderfully comfortable and the sound of my husband snoring was delightful. I did, however, begin to feel guilty when my feet finally hit the ground and it occurred to me that I had slept through my workout. It is important for me to keep up with my week day runs so that I am strong for my long runs. Plus I want to lift weights during my "off-season" of boot camp so that the arm flab doesn't return. Besides, no one wants to see pictures of me crossing the finish line at Marine Corps with flabby arms!! As the day went on today I wasn't sure how I could make up for missing this morning's run. Perhaps I could go to the YMCA after work...but then I remembered how much I hate it there at that hour. You know that time...when everyone else has just gotten off work and people are timing you for when you will finish with the machine THEY are ready to use. I like it there in the peaceful hours of the early morning, when the rest of the city is sleeping! During dinner, the subject came up about running and my son said he hadn't run yet today. (He is a baseball player and is running two days a week). Then, my husband chimed in that he could ride the bike while we ran. Wow! What a great idea! So there we were...my son was well ahead of me and I was keeping a nice tempo while my husband rode alongside on the bike. About half way through the run I realized I should have waited another half hour for my dinner to digest, I suffered from some major heartburn...along with my continuous prayer for cooler air. But it was really nice to be with my family and spend the evening a little differently than normal on a Thursday night. We ran approximately 3 miles in our neighborhood. So, I don't feel guilty any more about sleeping in today, instead I feel grateful to have a supportive husband and a motivated son. Nothing means more to me than my family and my health. Stay tuned for Saturday's 15 mile run!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Arm flab is an evolutionary necessity, like having two lungs, two kidneys, or reversible comforters.
Run well!
Jon
Post a Comment