The distance race is a struggle that results in self discovery. It is an adventure involving the limits of the self.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Side Stitch

Since the 19 mile run on Saturday, I have recovered quite well. My foot is doing great with very minimal pain and my hip is starting to feel attached to my leg again...LOL. I have been stretching and iced my hip over the weekend. I spoke with a friend who is an experienced runner last night. We were talking about the frequency of my running injuries and he suggested that I increase the frequency and duration of my runs during the week. My schedule had been 3-4 miles on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and a long run on Saturday. Instead, he recommended running no less than 5 miles during the week. Additionally, I would be increasing from 2 days a week, to at least 4 days. I was always under the impression that I should be conservative during the week, maintaining a 45 minute weekday run, to avoid injury for my long runs. However, it is quite the opposite. By running less miles during the week, my body is not adequately prepared to withstand the long miles on Saturday. So, it is a conditioning approach to becoming stronger for the long runs ahead. Of course, it calls for a "dedication check" since it will require more time and commitment on my part to get these miles in during the week. With that said, I headed to the YMCA this morning to run the outside track. I walked the first lap as a warm up and then started running. Almost instantly, I developed a side stitch. This happens very rarely to me, but I know how to control my breathing and stretch to help it subside. However, today was not successful. This was a bit discouraging. I continued to deep breathe and stretch, but was only able to run (or attempt to run) for 30 minutes today. I suppose it wasn't meant to be today. I came home and did a bit of research to make sure there wasn't other things I could do....here is what I found on side stitch while running. It is described as a sharp, twinge of pain just below the ribs, usually on the right side of the abdomen. There is no direct cause of a side stitch, although some theories support that it has to do with what a runner eats prior to the run. One study reports that those that consumed fruit juice or beverages high in carbohydrates can instigate the onset of a stitch. The more complicated theory is that it is caused by stretching the ligaments that extend from the diaphragm to internal organs, specifically the liver. While breathing, the jarring motion stretches these ligaments. For some people, they exhale when the left foot hits the ground. Others, exhale when the right foot hits the ground. It is those that exhale when the right food hits the ground that may be more prone to a side stitch. During the exhale on the right foot, it causes greater force on the liver. So as the liver is dropping down, the diaphragm is raising. The theory is that this repeated stretching leads to spasms. If you develop a stitch while running, it is recommended to stop and place your hand on your right side of your belly and push up while breathing evenly. While running, concentrate on deep inhalations and exhales. Short, shallow breathing can instigate a stitch. Many times, stretching can resolve the stitch and allow for a pain free run. Also, slowing down the pace, even to a walk may help. To read more: http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuries/a/aa053100a.htm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever tried to keep running when you develop a side stitch to see if it eventually goes away or if it just keeps getting worse ? That would be good to know for the marathon. Maybe stretching your obliques before you run would help too.

Dedication check...like no brownies or ice cream...

Jamie said...

really interesting info!!!