This is a blog about my journey through accomplishing something that, right now, seems to be a large feat...completing a full marathon and crossing the finish line. I turned 30 this year and part of my bucket list includes running a full marathon in 2010. I plan to write about all my experiences this year as I prepare for the big run in Washington, D.C. - Marine Corps Marathon - on October 31st. Thank you in advance for your comments, suggestions, and most of all, your encouragement.
The distance race is a struggle that results in self discovery. It is an adventure involving the limits of the self.
Saturday, August 21, 2010
Grateful
All week long you have been hearing about my foot injury and how it HAD brought my spirits down. I am happy to say that I ran just shy of 7 miles today and my foot cooperated very well! I am so grateful for my feet and my body that allow me to run. I had doubts that my foot would withstand such distance today, but it did. When I arrived this morning I thought it would just be Leah and I doing a straight run, but Mary, Nancy, and some of the girls in our pace group surprised us and joined. They went on to do 9 miles. Leah and I settled for 7 miles since she is battling a foot injury as well. The morning was hot and humid, but the occasional breeze and good company made for a really great run. After the run, I was able to sit down with my wonderful running coaches, Mary and Nancy, and we planned out my schedule for training runs. It's hard to believe that the marathon is almost here! Only 9 weeks to go! We have revised my schedule a little bit, thanks to good advice from my fellow running partners. Here what it will look like for the duration of training: Week of 8/28: 15-19 miles, weeks 9/4 and 9/11 taper runs, week 9/18: 10 miles, week 9/25-9/26 split run each day 13 miles, week 10/2 - taper run, week 10/9: 15-18 miles, weeks 10/16 and 10/23 taper runs. All of this will still be dependent on my currently healing foot injury. Due to the fact that I am a magnet for running injuries, they thought it would be best if I split my 26 mile run into 2 phases, but still within 24 hours. So, I will do 13 Saturday morning and 13 Sunday morning. This way, I will have completed the 26 miles, but in a more conservative way. I am looking forward to the weeks ahead! Stay tuned for a new cross-training exercise experience this week: TRX Suspension Training.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
The most recent poll of your readers indicates that they would like to see more pictures of Leah.
Hey Jenn
I am so glad you had a good run today. It was nice to see you smiling and enjoying yourself after the run. THAT MY DEAR FRIEND is really what this is all about, fitness,relationships and accomplishing goals.
I am so glad you are listening to Mary and Nancy. So often first time marathoner's don't believe in the injuries and think it's just about learning to run the miles. The key is running the miles injury free and crossing the finish line...all while enjoying yourself.
I am glad to be apart of this exerpience iwth you...kinda.
Stephanie
Post a Comment