The distance race is a struggle that results in self discovery. It is an adventure involving the limits of the self.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Taper Day!!

Ah, finally I sit to update you on today's run! It's been a busy day, and it all started with track work this morning. At 6am the weather report was 84 degrees, with a "feels like" temp of 93! These are rough temperatures right now to be running! However, we managed to survive and the run was quite enjoyable. I surprised myself with the appetite for a slice of Ezechial toast (flourless bread) and a glass of Emergen-C. I was careful not to have an abundance of fluids in my stomach since track work is usually brutal on my stomach. I also took a dextrose tablet on my drive to the track. A running friend has suggested I try something called "Succeed! S Caps" that will help my stomach from the recent pains I have had while running, and also provide necessary electrolytes. (Check it out:http://www.succeedscaps.com/main_scaps.html) I tried one pill before I started running and felt great for the run. Time will tell if this will be another staple to my running regime. We ran approximately 6 miles on the track and savored the ice cold popsicles that a running friend brought as our reward when we finished. It was delightful! I found that I was still running over my usual potential to benefit from the speed work, but I did not over do it like I did the last time Stephanie and I went out. I was definitely able to sustain more power throughout the run. Also, today's run was pain free! Loving all these pain free days! It was a nice treat today to have a taper run. Next week, I will advance to a 15 mile run. Then there will be another taper run the following week. Each week will alternate a long run and then a taper run. From here on out, my long runs will be significant mileage increases. Last week completed the boot camp series, so I am on a 4 week break until the next series starts up again. I plan to continue to run 2 days during the week, approximately 3 miles. I will also incorporate some weight lifting during the 4 week break as well. My feet are aching at this point in the day. Following this morning's run, I proceeded to clean out my garage with hubby and spent the evening on my feet shopping! I am now headed to the couch with the ice pack and much needed rest. I plan to loosen up tomorrow at HOT yoga!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

About 2 years ago Shannon and I were eating Ezekiel bread every day, then I bought the Ezekiel pasta and it all went downhill from there.

I checked out those Succeed S caps, I don't like them but if you think they are helping you...if it ain't broke don't fix it...

Don't forget to properly prepare for your 15 mile run a day or two in advance...hydrate...potassium...magnesium...those S caps will give you all the sodium you will need...

The most recent poll of your followers indicates that they would like to see pictures of you before and after each long run...and they wouldn't complain if there was a picture of Leah too...and they hope that you aren't slacking off on your green/red tea intake...

Anonymous said...

I tried to make Ezekiel toast once, but he was moody and said the party wasn't that great anyway.

The last time I tried to join a hot yoga class the instructor told me that I should consider joining the "looks good in dim lighting" class.

Good luck on your 15-miler.

Jon