The distance race is a struggle that results in self discovery. It is an adventure involving the limits of the self.

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Clear skies

Today's run was 12 miles. I went to bed last night thinking I might finish the run in soggy shoes since Tropical Storm Bonnie was expected to cross through...but I couldn't have been more wrong! The duration of the run was dry and with very clear skies. The humidity levels were high and the heat definitely took a toll on my body, but I managed to finish the run. I drank all the fluids I brought for the run, 2 Accelerade bottles and 2 water bottles, on my fuel belt. Once I was in my car and blessed by the ice cold air conditioning, I recovered quickly. I have maintained adequate fluid intake today and tried to rest. I'm looking forward to a good night sleep tonight...no alarm clock tomorrow morning!!! It will be my day of rest from exercise! Next week marks the last week of boot camp and next week's long run will be replaced by track work. I will have to find something to replace boot camp until the next session starts again in about 4 weeks. I am thinking of cross training with swimming and lifting weights on these next few weeks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You didn't say how your knee and foot held up during the run...and your readers want to know !!!!

How many ounces are those little water bottles and how much did your belt cost ? Did you give up on the coconut water ?

Are Mike and Jason going to be handing you water during the marathon so you don't have to carry the extra weight ?

A recent poll of your readers indicated that they would like to see more details about your nutritional intake and how you felt emotionally before,during and after your run.

Bucket List Runnergirl said...

Ok, ok, I was going to write more about those details, but I waited until late to write on the blog and didn't take the time to get into it all. First, I felt great physically. My knee is perfectly cooperating during my runs. It's amazing how the Active Release treatments are continuing to control my pain and treat the issue. I am still having very minor plantar fasciitis pain, but nothing that interferes with my run. I see my chiropractor every week for treatment. She is treating my knee, my foot, and recent neck pain and headaches. Not only does she treat the affected side, but she treats the opposite foot/knee to make sure I don't end up compensating on my "good" side. Oftentimes I have more pain on my "good" side! I still sleep with the boot at night to keep it as flexed as possible for stretching. I found a great fuel belt at Fit2Run for $40 bucks. It has four 8 ounce bottles and a little pouch for my car key, Gu, and dextrose tablet. Overall, it is relatively comfortable but I find that at times it rides up my hips and I have to readjust it. Luckily it has velcro so I can quickly undo it and reposition it for a better fit. I'm not sure how I will manage my fluids for longer runs. I drank all my bottles on yesterday's 12 mile run. The marathon will have water/gatorade stations throughout the run but I won't be able to stop and fill up my bottles. I may just have to fly through the water stations and drink from the cups they hand out. There's really no way to coordinate trying to get fluids from Mike or Jason. I think that would be too stressful on all of us. It will likely be a 5 hour run for me. I will be talking with my running friends for advice on how to manage fluids. I am still drinking coconut water and buying it by the case. I have also started drinking one before my run, along with an Emergenc-C and dextrose. It seems that this is a great way to stock up on electrolytes and potassium for a stronger run. About half way through my run, I'm taking a half tablet of dextrose and feel a good surge of energy to get me through the last half of the run.

Bucket List Runnergirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bucket List Runnergirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bucket List Runnergirl said...

p.s. Not sure why my comment posted 3 times. I deleted the duplicates that's why it says comment was deleted by author.