This is a blog about my journey through accomplishing something that, right now, seems to be a large feat...completing a full marathon and crossing the finish line. I turned 30 this year and part of my bucket list includes running a full marathon in 2010. I plan to write about all my experiences this year as I prepare for the big run in Washington, D.C. - Marine Corps Marathon - on October 31st. Thank you in advance for your comments, suggestions, and most of all, your encouragement.
The distance race is a struggle that results in self discovery. It is an adventure involving the limits of the self.
Saturday, July 3, 2010
Rain or Shine
Today marks week 9 of my training. The run today was a scheduled 6 mile "race". It's called a race to compare our times from the first week when we ran this same route. Although that particular first week my IT Band pain was at its prime. Today reflected much more improvement than the last race. The help of cloudy skies and the slight drizzle of rain on my shoulders allowed for much cooler temperatures. And, I am happy to report that I had ZERO knee pain for the duration of the run! My heel pain was minor and I completed the race virtually pain free. What a delight! I had a great run and spent some time with a new runner to the group, Leah. We maintained 2:1 intervals and enjoyed the morning. I reminded her that we had one advantage to the start of the day...we managed to get out of bed...because we can! I celebrate the fact that I am not bed-bound and my health allows me to embark on the challenge that running gives me. There are moments when I "huff and puff" my way to the finish line...I struggle to put one foot in front of the other....and sometimes I simply can't stand the thought of another step. But the big picture is what's most important. The picture of health, and drive, and determination. Happy Fourth of July!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That was the most inspiring thing I've read in a long time. Did the absence of torturous heat have any impact on your muscular and cardiovascular endurance ?
Protect that foot !!!!
Do you feel as though you have overcome any of the initial concerns you may have had when you first started this endeavor ? Have you come up against anything that you haven't anticipated ? Do you feel that you are where you want to be physically at this point ?
Honestly, I have tried to take this experience day by day. I didn't expect to be injured by IT Band and Plantar Fasciitis, but I have taken initatives to find the best treatments and listen to my body. I don't think I will ever be satisfied with where I am physically, the body needs constant challenge. I am open to new exercise challenges and feel that once I am back from the recent summer vacations, I will be able to dedicate myself more to the boot camp classes and better nutrition. But all and all, I am content with where I am at this time. Next week will mark my longest run of 15 miles....so stay tuned!
Post a Comment