This is a blog about my journey through accomplishing something that, right now, seems to be a large feat...completing a full marathon and crossing the finish line. I turned 30 this year and part of my bucket list includes running a full marathon in 2010. I plan to write about all my experiences this year as I prepare for the big run in Washington, D.C. - Marine Corps Marathon - on October 31st. Thank you in advance for your comments, suggestions, and most of all, your encouragement.
The distance race is a struggle that results in self discovery. It is an adventure involving the limits of the self.
Saturday, June 5, 2010
Flat road is not necessarily easier than bridge repeats...
It's been 2 weeks since my last post. I can assure you, I've been running! I just haven't been blogging in part because "no news is good news". I find it's much easier to blog when I'm feeling down and out. That's really a shame, don't you think? Since my last post my knee pain has been progressively improving and almost non-existent. However, I purchased a new pair of running shoes and I'm having some setbacks. It's possible that I need some time to "break them in", so I've only been wearing them on my weekday 4 mile runs. I wore my old pair of shoes today since it was a 10 mile run. I am continuing weekly Active Release treatments and keeping a positive outlook. Today marks week 5 of my training. It was hot, hot, hot today. The combination of my knee pain and the dreadful heat, made it nearly impossible to cross the 10 mile mark. Around mile 9 I felt like I hit my wall. On a cardiovascular level, I just couldn't run any further. But I made it through the 10 miles, despite walking more than running on mile 9. I made sure to keep myself hydrated during the run and took an Accelerade Gel at the halfway point. Nothing seemed to cool me down until I jumped in my swimming pool when I got home. I kicked off my shoes, took off my watch, and jumped in the deep end! It was fabulous! I can guess that my biggest challenge of this marathon training will be battling the heat and humidity of sunny Florida. I can only hope that this will make me stronger...considering the marathon is in October in D.C. and there is expected to be very pleasant weather at that time. In an effort to build core strength, I am starting a boot camp on Monday. We will meet at 5:30am on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. I will keep you posted on that...I am a little nervous!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What was your pain level at when you started running ? When did it start to worsen ? You might want to start taking 2 dextrose tablets when you get to the 7-8 mile mark. It might help to increase your intake of coconut water before the race. Do you check your heart rate after you cross the finish line ? Did you have any other symptoms besides fatigue and hyperthermia ?, like dry mouth,dizziness,blurred vision,nausea or headache ?
Post a Comment