The distance race is a struggle that results in self discovery. It is an adventure involving the limits of the self.

Sunday, June 6, 2010

A perfect way to end the week...with a little heat.

Just as I was battling near heat exhaustion on Saturday's run, today I grabbed my yoga mat and headed to a Bikram Yoga class. Bikram is otherwise known as "hot yoga" and is highly effective for tight muscles and heavy energy. Yoga in general is known for wonderful benefits to the body, such as lowering heart rate and blood pressure, strengthening muscles, and improving flexibility. But the added degrees of temperature during the Bikram Yoga is said to enhance those benefits. Bikram is said to be exceptionally beneficial due to the 90 minute classes in a humid room heated up to 100 degrees. There are 26 asanas (positions) that are held and repeated twice for 10-60 seconds. These strenuous conditions are what allow the increased physical benefits of the practice. Because of the 90 minutes of such heat conditions, the body sweats buckets! This intense sweating serves to detoxify and cleanse the body. In particular, the poses that are held in Bikram Yoga can create a tourniquet effect. What this means is, when positions are released, it causes a rush of blood through the area that had been cut off during the asana, creating a flushing effect. As a result, this enhances the flushing of the lymphatic system, removal of toxins, and rejuvenation of cells. In addition, some of the 26 asanas apply to a pressure point, which takes advantage of acupressure. Thus, realigning chi and stimulating the body's ability to heal itself. It is said that if you practice Bikram Yoga regularly you can increase energy, stamina, and metabolism. For me, I feel completely centered after I am done with a class. I can walk into the room feeling heavy energy and sore muscles, but by the time I'm done, I feel light and revived. I am so glad I went to yoga today and feel myself centered and ready for all that this week has in store. Tomorrow morning...4:30am wake up to start my day at Boot Camp!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The lymphatic system works two ways, muscle contraction and expansion of the ribcage/diaphragm moves the lymph through the lymphatic vessels and nodes, so running does both. It's very important to keeping your whole body running smoothly and cleanly. When your skin is hot the blood rushes to the surface to try and cool you down so the dermis layer of your skin gets extra nourishment, which in turn provides blood to the lower layer of the epidermis, the stratum germinativum, through diffusion. This give your skin a healthier appearance.

Between the running,yoga and bootcamp you are going to leave us all in the dust...and look good doing it.