The distance race is a struggle that results in self discovery. It is an adventure involving the limits of the self.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Taper Run and Dungeons!

Today was scheduled to be bridge repeats on the training schedule. However, some of the group opted to do a straight run. Leah and I set out to do just shy of 8 miles, while others in the group were doing as much as 20 miles. We specifically wanted to curtail the mileage today due to Leah's recovery from a foot injury and my 10:00am appointment at "the dungeon". Yes, you read that correctly. Since I have been doing TRX 3 days a week, I learned that the instructor also offers personal training. Today was our first session and it was intense! The training was in a warehouse gym (otherwise know as "the dungeon"), which was set up just like it sounds...there is no a/c, 2 fans, and a giant room of weights, boxing ring, football field room, and space for circuit training. But, not just the usual circuit training. Here is an outline of what the session entailed: jump-ups onto a plywood box, jumping on-into- and out a giant truck tire, pulling a weighted tire sled, swinging medicine ball, flipping 150 lb. tires, swinging a sledge hammer onto a tire, ab exercises on a mat, and pull ups on a high bar, just to name a few. WOW! I really surprised myself when I flipped 150 lb. tires! It was really hard and really amazing at the same time. Definitely something that will enhance my cardio and overall strength, while targeting specific areas like my abs. The 8 mile run was a cake-walk compared to the hour of intense circuit training. Needless to say, it was a productive day. Afterwards, I felt rejuvenated and enjoyed a day of relaxing and spending time with friends. I'm REALLY looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow! My first day all week of NO EXERCISE! This past week was intense since I increased my running days from 3 days a week to 6, along with 3 days of TRX. I also made some changes in my nutrition...I am taking a BCAA/Glutamine powder 2 times a day, whey isolate protein 2 times a day with glutamine, and a caseign protein before bed. My goal is to TONE and FIRM and not deplete my muscle strength from the increased running that the marathon training demands. Next week calls for TRX and a 26 mile split run on Saturday and Sunday. That's right...I will be doing 13 miles Saturday morning and 13 miles Sunday morning!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The best thing about that kind of training is that you use every muscle, the body positions and movements change so frequently.

I think it would be good if you took some extra vitamin C after your run on Saturday, and you absolutely positively MUST get plenty of sleep Saturday night, maybe drink some Magick Time after supper.

Jamie said...

LOVED it when you came to mom and pop's today and demonstrated what you did in training! I am so unbelievably proud of you!!!