This is a blog about my journey through accomplishing something that, right now, seems to be a large feat...completing a full marathon and crossing the finish line. I turned 30 this year and part of my bucket list includes running a full marathon in 2010. I plan to write about all my experiences this year as I prepare for the big run in Washington, D.C. - Marine Corps Marathon - on October 31st. Thank you in advance for your comments, suggestions, and most of all, your encouragement.
The distance race is a struggle that results in self discovery. It is an adventure involving the limits of the self.
Sunday, September 19, 2010
26 Mile Split Run - Day 2
From my last post I shared with you that I was more than likely running solo today. But, my long time friend and running partner, Stephanie, text messaged me yesterday asking about the run. When she learned that I would be running solo today, she said she would be joining me for the first hour just until the sun would be rising and she could still get to church on time. Let it be known...that SHE ran 24 miles yesterday. But, because she is a good friend and was concerned for my safety, she joined me this morning at 6am and we shared a 4 mile run together. Afterwards, the sun was beginning to peek through the clouds and she went on to church and I ventured off on my own for the remainder of the miles. The weather was once again on my side today. At 6am it was a breezy 72 degrees! During the run, I felt strong. My energy was at full performance. My only "complaint" was my left foot was giving me some pain. I pushed through and since the pain wasn't escalating, I continued. I put one ipod earphone in one ear and used my other ear to hear my watch when it beeped and/or anyone behind me. The run was not too bad on my own. I had certainly never ran that far by myself for a training run. There have been times during a half marathon that I find myself behind my pace group, but at least there are hundreds of other runners beside me all trying to reach the finish line. This morning was a big accomplishment for me. I found myself fighting back the talk in my mind of ways I could turn around early. I could have easily used my foot as an excuse, but I didn't. And it was so great to take that last step and say that I had run a complete 13 miles today!!! I actually clenched my fists as a symbol of victory when I reached the mark today. I have spent the rest of the morning resting. My left foot in particular is quite painful. I have iced it and spent very little time on my feet to give it a chance to recover. Overall, I feel great besides the foot. I will watch and see how my foot improves to determine my level of activity for early this week. I may have to take a couple days off exercise if my body requires rest. Thanks to all of you who have supported me through this weekend. Accomplishing a 26 mile weekend is HUGE! And I could not have done it without YOUR support.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Yes! Yes! Yes! I ABSOLUTELY knew that I would log on and read that you infact completed and accomplished this huge goal...I'm so proud of you. Now, it's time to reward yourself and rest your mind and body...especially your foot. I will need you as I push towards my goal of a half marathon so enjoy the rest of your weekend and congratulations!
I thought Cajun Girls only ran when being chased by alligators or had a craving for crawfish...
What's the next big run gonna be ?
What do you think the pain in your foot was ?
Do you know which shoes you are going to wear for the marathon ?
Next big run will be in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure the distance, but I would assume probably 15 miles. I'm still not sure about the foot issue. It is definitely improving as the day goes on...but the theory that splitting up the 26 miles over 2 days may have not been the best idea for me. Just when my body was going into "recovery" mode, I went out and did the same 13 miles. I don't think it is a serious injury, and I will definitely be taking a break from running for 2-3 days. When I start back up this week, it will be minimal miles to ease back into my intense schedule. Essentially, my body is feeling the effects of running a marathon this weekend. I plan to listen to it and allow the process to continue. To answer your last question, I am planning to wear the shoes that I have been training in...which are Saucony. After the marathon, I will experiment with different shoes.
Post a Comment