The distance race is a struggle that results in self discovery. It is an adventure involving the limits of the self.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

26 Mile Split Run - Day 1

This week called for a long run...and from the advice of my running coaches, we decided it would be wise to split up the 26 miles over 2 days. This way, I am still feeling the effects of 26 miles on my body within 24 hours time, but not all at once. In preparation for this weekend, I decreased some of my weekday running. The combination of preparing for today and my work schedule, I only ran 3 miles on Wednesday this past week. I also did TRX 3 days. I have also continued a strict schedule of my intake of BCAA/Glutamine powder, whey isolate, and nighttime casein protein. Having completed today's miles, I am feeling golden. I can remember a time not very long ago when it took ALL I had to make it 13 miles. The combination of ZERO history of exercise, lack of training, crappy lungs, inadequate nutrition pre/during/post race, wrong pace, and simply just being inexperienced, led to a miserable run. It's amazing what a little time and knowledge can bring. The girl I used to be would never recognize me now. Even if I never run another step, I know that I have evolved into someone beyond what my capabilities used to be. I can actually find the steady deep breathing, excessive sweat, and the timing of my intervals to be quite refreshing. On a day like today when there is a cool breeze at my face, the only word that sums it up is DELIGHTFUL. On a not-so-happy note, my running coach stepped on a rock this morning and it managed to twist her ankle. She had to turn around and head back to the car about half way through the run. I just received a message from her that she will not be able to run with me tomorrow. And unfortunately, it was just going to be her and myself tomorrow. So, I may have the company of my husband riding the bike alongside me or I may be heading out solo. I have never ran that far alone, but the more I am thinking about it, the more I am ok with it. Running is great therapy for the mind and it may be nice to appreciate the silence. Meanwhile, today calls for hydration, nutrition, and REST. Stay tuned for updates on split run day 2!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely you can do it solo !!!!...I think you would push yourself harder if you ran alone...

You've got your fitness and nutrition routine fine-tuned now...it just keeps getting better from here on out...

Cajun Girl said...

Long time reader, first time writer...
First of all...WOW! You have become such an inspiration both on and off "the track". I have been so fortunate to be that 'inexperienced runner' in the shadows of a true rockstar. Thank you for your continued motivation, words of wisdom and pure dedication.
Secondly, I agree with "anonymous"...Tomorrow will be exhilarating. Your mental, nutritional and physical preparation have set you up for a successful marathon!
I can't wait to read the update tomorrow...
Headlines...Vision of a Finish Line-REALITY

Bucket List Runnergirl said...

It's amazing the power of the self. I have learned that more than ever during this marathon training. It has allowed me to be so much more in touch with myself than ever before. Because really, I am fighting against myself. And in difficult times I have to convince MYSELF that I can do it!