This is a blog about my journey through accomplishing something that, right now, seems to be a large feat...completing a full marathon and crossing the finish line. I turned 30 this year and part of my bucket list includes running a full marathon in 2010. I plan to write about all my experiences this year as I prepare for the big run in Washington, D.C. - Marine Corps Marathon - on October 31st. Thank you in advance for your comments, suggestions, and most of all, your encouragement.
The distance race is a struggle that results in self discovery. It is an adventure involving the limits of the self.
Thursday, May 6, 2010
When the going gets tough....the tough cross trains!
It's been a while since my last post. As one of my fans would say...it's been 17 days to be exact. During my last half marathon in February I started to experience severe left knee pain. It has become progressively worse and as a result, I have not been able to run in the last 2 weeks. Instead, I have focused my efforts lifting weights, spin class, and pilates. I will admit, when my body tells me it needs to rest, it is very difficult to listen! I certainly haven't been myself since I have stopped running. As most runners will say, however, the commitment to cross training is imperative to overall health and strength. Many different forms of exercises focus on different muscle groups and can allow for a stronger run as a result. As a matter of fact, Runners World Magazine published an article in August 2004 on the "Eight Benefits of Cross-Training". The first benefit is injury prevention: cross-training improves endurance without beating up on vulnerable joints, muscles, and connective tissues. The second benefit is rehabilitation: by maintaining fitness and/or correcting the cause of the injury. Next is achieving greater running fitness: almost every runner can run faster by cross-training than by simply running alone. Specifically, a runner can enhance running efficiency, increase running power, and increase time before fatigue or injury occurs. An active recovery is another benefit to cross-training. A high intensity workout is most important to performance. If a runner is injured, the cross-train activity can mimic runs in intensity, duration, and structure. Also, enhanced motivation is a benefit of cross-training. We all know that doing the same thing day after day can get boring! One of the key benefits of cross-training is to stay motivated to run and ultimately perform better in races. Rejuvenation is also a key benefit. No runner can train hard all year long. The body and mind need a recovery period after a big race. Typically, the winter months can classify as an "off season" which equates to 2 weeks of complete rest, no activity. Following a good rest, informal training can be re-introduced during weeks 2-8. This can be in the form of yoga, swimming, or weights. Additionally, enjoying other sports is quite beneficial. Endurance can be highly transferable to other activities. A strong heart and good lungs are the foundation to endurance. Lastly, cross-training can benefit a fit pregnancy. Pregnancy and motherhood does not equate to a career ending decision for competitive female athletes. (Click on this post's title to be connected to full article)
For my current knee pain, I decided to research my options. Since I wasn't overly eager to deal with timely testing, toxic medicinal options, or who knows what else....I reached out to a friend. He is a chiropractor on the East Coast of Florida. I described my symptoms and he predicted I was suffering from "IT Band" pain. He referred me to research local chiropractors who provide treatment called "Active Release Technique". After some searching, I scheduled an appointment with one of two chiropractors in my area that are certified in this technique. I met the doctor today and she proceeded to tell me that she believed she could help my pain. I agreed and was eager to see what this "A.R.T." would be like. First, let me say that Active Release is the gold standard in soft tissue treatment. It's so effective that it is actually been granted a medical patent. In order to be an A.R.T. provider, a professional must undergo extensive hands on instruction and testing. (To locate an A.R.T. provider in your area go to www.ActiveRelease.com). After I endured the pain during her treatment, I can say that my entire left leg feels better than before my appointment. My first training run of the season is this Saturday (6 miles) and I will attempt to do what I can. I am scheduled for another appointment with this chiropractor next week. Stay tuned for more updates and as always I welcome your comments!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Well it's about time !!!!
Not giving yourself time to recover from a workout or injury is all about impatience...not a good trait to embrace. I read one of Anthony Robbins books years ago, his concept was so simple and obvious but when you take the time to think about it every day it becomes so powerful. Make a list of what you want in life, Make a list of what you have to do to get it, Make a list of what might impede you getting it, Make a list of how to overcome the stuff that might impede you.
If you are running and your knee or foot starts to hurt...STOP RUNNING !!!!...don't let pride and/or ego convince you that you have to finish your run. Rest and recover. It's better to take off 6 days to heal properly than to injure yourself and have to take off 6 weeks or God forbid 6 months.
Spring rolls and brownies are not Virgin Marathoner food. Once you cross that finish line you can eat spring rolls and brownies until baby got back.
Post a Comment