This is a blog about my journey through accomplishing something that, right now, seems to be a large feat...completing a full marathon and crossing the finish line. I turned 30 this year and part of my bucket list includes running a full marathon in 2010. I plan to write about all my experiences this year as I prepare for the big run in Washington, D.C. - Marine Corps Marathon - on October 31st. Thank you in advance for your comments, suggestions, and most of all, your encouragement.
The distance race is a struggle that results in self discovery. It is an adventure involving the limits of the self.
Sunday, April 18, 2010
Sharing a Vision
Tomorrow morning, thousands of runners will line up to the start line at the Boston Marathon. Each runner with a different story, a personalized commitment, and a common goal to cross the finish line. For some, their success across the finish line will bring happiness. To promote my personal happiness, I encourage myself to model those that I admire. This could be someone that I know personally, a stranger, a historic figure, a celebrity..anyone that I find admirable. Of these select few, I can identify the characteristics that are commonly shared. Once I identify these characteristics, I believe that it is something that is nascent in myself but I have yet to bring it into existence. I find one of these qualities, that of running a marathon. I believe that the reason I admire it is because it is waiting to be uncovered within myself. And once it is uncovered, I will begin to admire something different, which is necessary to promote the cycle of growth into inner freedom and happiness! Knowing what you admire in others is a beautiful mirror into your deepest, unborn, self.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I try to do that with both sides of the coin. Sometimes I see a negative aspect to someone's personality and realize that I possess the same trait, I then try to be pro-active in changing that behavior in myself. It's easier said than done, especially if it's something you have been doing your whole life.
"The beginning of a habit is like an invisible thread, but every time we repeat the act we strengthen the strand, add to it another filament, until it becomes a great cable and binds us irrevocably thought and act."
Orison Swett Marden
I admire people who will stop and try to help a stranger without any thought of what they might get out of it, knowing that they will probably never see the person again. Sometimes I will be focused on something and come across someone in need and feel annoyed that I have to stop what I'm doing and put my time and energy towards their problem. I want to get to a place where I am grateful for the opportunity to help another human being, regardless of how far I have to go out of my way for them.
Jennifer- Since you will be devoting months of training to this sweaty, Olympian diversion I must ask: why this particular event? What is it specifically about running a pinch over 26 miles without being chased that you find revealing about the Self? By the way, I believe the Germans crossed the Finnish line back in '39, and they felt pretty spiffy.
Hi Jon! I can honestly say that the Marine Corps was most appealing to me overall because it does not have a time requirement. And since we all know that I am not a speedy runner, I certainly don't need a time restraint stressing me out! Second, the location was what lured me to be able to bring my husband along. He has never seen D.C. and is really excited about the trip. My son is coming along too...and hopefully the trip will be inspiring to him as much as it will be to me. I feel it is my distinct honor to have my two favorite boys cheering me across the finish line. That perhaps the thought might cross his mind, that his mom is tough and can set a goal and accomplish it. I have set many goals in my life...but running a marathon is quite a feat even for this tough girl....I'm looking forward to finding out what is beneath all the layers of my Self. My 20s consisted of me posing as many different people...for my 30s I will uncover what is waiting to be discovered.
Post a Comment