This is a blog about my journey through accomplishing something that, right now, seems to be a large feat...completing a full marathon and crossing the finish line. I turned 30 this year and part of my bucket list includes running a full marathon in 2010. I plan to write about all my experiences this year as I prepare for the big run in Washington, D.C. - Marine Corps Marathon - on October 31st. Thank you in advance for your comments, suggestions, and most of all, your encouragement.
The distance race is a struggle that results in self discovery. It is an adventure involving the limits of the self.
Thursday, April 8, 2010
Team Fit Stop - Advanced Distance Training
Tonight was the first meeting of our running group...Team Fit Stop. It was great to meet the team and hear their stories of how long they have been running. Our team leader has been running for 11 years and has ran 71 marathons!!!! Can you believe it? Another runner I talked to started running at age 49 and has a WALL dedicated to her medals from half and full marathons. One thing I know for sure, age has no limits on the possibilities to be a runner. I am so incredibly inspired by the people I run with. I am really looking forward to the upcoming training season to get to know them better! They amaze me! I know people that discount their ability to run at a given age and give me that invisible pat on the back saying, "enjoy it while you can", "you're young, you can run right now, wait til you get my age". Excuse me??? I'm feeling kind of inferior to the other runners on my team right now!!! There are runners in this group in their 40s, 50s, 60s...I am a rookie in more than one way on this team! But that's the clincher. I am doing something that requires faith, trust, and determination. I am about to embark on a journey that will allow me to discover a side of myself that has yet to be uncovered. And that is why I am doing this. I enjoy a challenge and feel it is necessary for life to promote growth. But, first I am going to have to wrap my head around this training schedule and start times! Yikes!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Jennifer- Team Fit Stop? Sounds like an epilepsy support group. I spoke with Shanna Pentico the other day (Zegerid rep); she's been running for years and will be one of the thousands at the Marine Marathon (she'll be the one knocking cups of water out of other people's hands). I will pass along her cell # the next time we see you.
Post a Comment