This is a blog about my journey through accomplishing something that, right now, seems to be a large feat...completing a full marathon and crossing the finish line. I turned 30 this year and part of my bucket list includes running a full marathon in 2010. I plan to write about all my experiences this year as I prepare for the big run in Washington, D.C. - Marine Corps Marathon - on October 31st. Thank you in advance for your comments, suggestions, and most of all, your encouragement.
The distance race is a struggle that results in self discovery. It is an adventure involving the limits of the self.
Sunday, October 24, 2010
The Final Days...
Yesterday morning, I completed my last run with the group for the training season. Mary, Nancy, and I set out for an easy 7 mile run and we were done before sunrise. It is still slightly surreal that the days and weeks have lead me to the final week before the marathon. I have juggled training, injuries, work, family responsibilities, and travel to accomplish the commitment required to train for a marathon. I couldn't have been in better company with those that I trained with, along with the support I received from my family and closest of friends. This weekend has been busy, but I spent most of the morning organizing the paperwork I need to bring to D.C. Flight information, hotel and expo directions, and registration confirmation forms are all included, just to name a few. I have my "Bring to D.C." list on the fridge and I am adding more to the list each day. My running coach suggested that I pack everything on a carry-on bag...this will avoid the baggage fee at the airport and ensure that my luggage won't get lost! The last thing I need is to lose my running shoes! I will be very strict with my diet this week. I will completely avoid refined sugar, increase my hydration, and stock up on Vitamin C. Of all weeks, my husband is getting sick with a respiratory cold. He will be sleeping in our spare room and staying AWAY from spreading his germs as much as possible. This week will be very little exercise. I will do TRX on Monday and Wednesday and will run a few miles on Tuesday. Wednesday will be my last day of exercise this week. We fly into D.C. on Friday the 29th. I am looking forward to the sight-seeing in D.C., all the while, taking care of my legs and making sure I'm not on my feet too much before the race. Stay tuned for more updates this week as I prepare for the big day on Sunday!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I would add no white bread to that list and no caffeine after Wednesday...don't go crazy with the water as it flushes out electrolytes...maybe a massage on Thursday...when I'm doing my cardio on Sunday I'll be thinking of Charlie...God bless you...
You go Girl and kick some butt. I'll be thinking of you. You can do it!!! :)
Ah, the day is almost here. Are you filled with excitement, or are you possessed of a seasoned runner's resolve, all steely-eyed and hydrated? I congratulate you on all the work you have put in just to get here, and I know how happy you must be to have finally stopped smoking (oops, wrong blog). I wish you well, and I'm looking forward to seeing you so we can chat about your awesome awsomeness. Say Hi to Obama for me.
Jon
Post a Comment